Sunday, January 22, 2012

F.A.Q.

Since the change to the site, there may be a few questions floating out there. I'll try to answer them here.

Q: How do I get in contact with you?
A: You can leave a comment here, or reach me at my super secret email address.

Q: Well? What IS your super secret email address??
A: Oh, right. Nineteen eleven (but the numbers, not the spelled out words) owen at geeemail followed by dot com. All one word, no spaces. Not dumb enough to just write it here for the spam bots to find. Besides, think how proud of yourself you'll feel when you figure how to actually write it!

Q: Why the big change? 
A: Well, for the longest time, the site was disjointed. There was no common theme at all, no regular content updates, no real meat at all. There was no focus or purpose. Now I think there is.

Q: Are you trying to make some kind of statement with the site? 
A: Nope. I'm just putting up my opinion on various things. That and it's a logbook, like it says. It is a blog, you know.

Q: Are you in the military? It sure looks like you are tying to make it seem like you are in the military. 
A: No. I am not currently, nor have I ever been in the employ of any branch of the United States Armed Forces. I have never worked for, or in conjunction with any branch of our military. I do support them, and I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for our Service personnel, and pray for their safety. They inspire me, and protect the freedom that grants me the way of life that I enjoy so much and hold so dear. I would never do them the disservice of "pretending" to be in the Armed Forces. I'm just a patriotic person.

Q: Are you trying to start political arguments? 
A: Hell no. I'm not interested in getting into political arguments on the internet. Don't even try it. You have your view, I have mine. Let's leave it at that and play nice, yeah? :)

Q: Can I send you doodad-x or gizmo-y for you to review? 
A: Sure, that'd be swell. Especially if it's a product type that I'm already interested in. However, I'm not into doing "fluff" reviews, i.e. doing a review that compensates me in some way or will send the item for review only if I give a positive review of the product or service. I'm not for sale. Having said that, I really don't review something if I don't have a positive view on it. No sense wasting time.

Q: Wow, it looks like you are spending a ton on all the things you feature or review here. You must be rich!
A: Actually, a good bit of the stuff that I review, unless I specifically say I bought it, is either a loaner or test unit. I borrow stuff from buddies, and as evaluation units from companies on the rare occasion. What I do buy I save, scrimp, and find a drastic sale for. I also do a good bit of "horse trading" to swap something I don't need anymore for something I do need or want. Trust me, I'm not a rich man.

Q: Are you a gun nut? 
A: No. I am a firearm enthusiast. Always have been. I got it honest from my old man, who is also a firearm enthusiast, and a retired LEO. And former firearms safety instructor. And hunter. And Captain of the PD Pistol Team. I am also a firm believer in, and supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. 

Q: Are you some kinda "end of the world" nut? 
A: Again, no. I am interested in the art of survival, and also in disaster preparedness. I also like camping. So, combine these interests, and this is what you get. Having been through hurricane Katrina, and being very, very poorly prepared for it has altered my mindset to a degree. Preparing for a disaster or emergency doesn't mean I expect or hope for one. Anyone who does might have a loose screw or two, but to each his own.

Q: Do you have something against people who work "behind a desk" for a living? 
A: Absolutely not. It takes all manner of working folk to make the world turn. Right now, I "work behind a desk." I do, however, have something against the mentality that everyone needs to get a four year degree in a professional employment capacity such as architecture or physical therapy. College ain't for everyone, and someone has to come pick up the trash, unclog the toilet, etc. Nothing wrong with breaking a sweat to earn a living.

Q: Why don't you use your real name on here?
A: First of all, this is the world wide intarwebs. That should be answer enough. Second of all, I am a somewhat private person, so I like a little bit of anonymity. In addition, I want to be able to separate myself to a degree from what goes on here, and not have it completely govern my life. These are my thoughts, not my boundaries. 

Q: Who is your hero?
A: My Dad. The greatest compliment anyone could ever pay me would be to look me straight in the eye and tell me, "You're just like your father." That would make my day. He's the benchmark I try to shape my life by, the guy I try to be like and that I look up to. If I've become half the man he is by the time I check out of this old world, I'll be right proud.

Q: How can I get in contact with you?
A: Well, you can either drop me a comment on one of my posts with your question and/or info, or you can reach me at my email address.

Q: Where are some of the old posts? There used to be more, some with videos...
A: Some of those are gone, deleted, or permanently archived. Some have been taken down for one reason or another and may be put back up later on. The short version is that they either don't really fit with the site anymore, or the video was lost when Google got Blogger and the built-in video player was changed. Another site I was using to host some of the videos also shut down, so the posts were removed since they were useless. 

Q: What makes you an expert on any of this?? 
A: Not a damn thing. I never said I was an expert. My old man used to ask me, "You know the definition of an expert? Well, break it down. 'X' is the unknown, we learn in algebra. And a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure. Therefor, an 'expert' is an unknown drip under pressure."

Q: Did you really expect us to read down this far? 
A: Shit no! Are you really still here? Wow, I'm not sure if I'm flattered, or...

Q: Is there anything else useful in this thing? 
A: Uh....

Q: Hello? Is this thing on? 
A: [crickets]


No comments: