Friday, June 6, 2014

The new old reliable

I like to fish. I used to do it quite often with my ex-paw-in-law. Aside from the entirely too strict rules and schedule he kept (which sucked alot of the enjoyment out of it for me) I usually had a good time. I hadn't gone for years after the divorce, just caught up in tons of other hobbies etc. Around the same time I got my fishing kayak, though, I got back into tossing a line in the water, and I'm glad I did.

In 2013, my wife and I went on a short vacation down to a little lake on the MS Gulf coast with another couple, and decided to take some fishing gear with us. I didn't have anything anymore due to a theft while moving, so I make a quick supply trip to Walmart for the vacation and picked up two ready to go rod and reel combos with tackle included. They were very, very cheap, and it was apparent. We never even opened the packages on the trip, which is another story altogether. Short version, they would have been pretty crappy to fish with anyway.

After getting the kayak, I decided to up my game a bit, and started picking up a lure here and a lure there, sinkers, a few swivels now and then. Then, one day while looking in a store, learned that Zebco had come out with a new model of the famous 33 spin cast reel. If you are familiar with this reel, you know what a hit it is, and how reliable it is. The new version does the name proud. It is available in several different trim levels: standard, black, platinum, custom, etc. and is available solo or in combo packs. There is even a rod/reel combo pack with a spare reel, which is great if you have a rod in need of a better reel in the closet, like I did.
New 33 Authentic model.

I prefer, for most freshwater fishing, a shorter medium action rod. And by shorter, I mean shorter than you would think. I have a 30 inch Zebco Dock Demon that I tenaciously love to fish with, no matter what folks say about me. For a "full size" rod, I generally like an even 5 foot medium action. I don't care for the 6 or 7 plus foot rods, they are just too much and have more give in them than I like. I understand they can be more sensitive, but the length is not good in the kayak usually, and can make casting while in a densely covered creek kinda problematic. I do have a Zebco 33 medium action rod in 5 foot 6, but that is as long as I care to go. It came in the twin reel combo pack, so the spare reel went on my short 5 foot Walmart brand $6 rod.

The reel is great. It has very smooth gears, is whisper quiet, casts like butter, retrieves well, and doesn't weigh a ton. It also has a new bite alert reverse feature, which I assume is mainly for use with bait with a float. The reverse also has a quick set anti-reverse switch, so you can kick it back into retrieve only with a flip of a switch after a strike. The drag has a wide range and is easy to play with. I've used both rods with this reel a good bit, with all manner of lures in several weights, and it works like a champ. I know there are more expensive reels out there that are supposed to be better, but honestly, why? You can give a $100,000 movie camera to an idiot, and he will shoot lousy video. The best cinematographer on earth can make a blockbuster using a $400 camcorder if he wants too. Point is, it isn't always about how high-end the tool is, but what you do with it. For me, as little as I get to fish, and as bad at the sport as I seem to be, this inexpensive jewel of a reel will do me just fine. No need to break the bank.

If you are in the market for a new cheap and cheerful spin cast reel or combo kit, check out the New 33. You won't regret it!


-Owen

No comments: